Tips for Keeping Your Carpet Clean Between Professional Cleaning

When the pros leave, how do you keep your carpets looking their best? Here are some tips for keeping your carpet clean between professional cleanings.

It’s recommended that you have your carpets deep cleaned every six months to a year for a normal family of four.

Here are some tips we’ll go over:

small baby crawling on cleanest carpet in tulsa oklahoma

Use Your Vacuum Right

How often should you vacuum? Count the number of heartbeats under your roof, including pets. That number is how many times per week you should be vacuuming.

  • Don’t wait until your carpet looks dirty before you take out your vacuum.
  • Dust before you vacuum.  
  • If your vacuum doesn’t adjust automatically as the carpet height changes, take the time to do it yourself. It will make a world of difference in how effective your vacuum works.  
  • When you vacuum, don’t rush. Go slow to let the machine suck up the dirt and dust. The brushes agitate the carpet fibers, which let even more dust and dirt get picked up.  
  • Vacuum both directions, north and south, then east to west. Don’t just go in one direction. At least once a month, get out the crevice tool and go around the edges of the room.  
  • Empty your vacuum once the bag is half full. Don’t reuse bags. They just won’t be efficient.  
  • Stay on your vacuuming schedule. About 80 percent of dirt can be removed through vacuuming. The other 20 percent can be handled during a professional cleaning.  

Clean Up Stains Right Away

  • When something spills on the carpet, you need to clean it up immediately.
  • Blot spills with a clean towel or stack of paper towels. Press down with the heel of your hand to absorb water. Repeat with dry towels.
  • For larger spills, a wet-dry vacuum could be used to remove the material before you blot.
  • Don’t rub at the spill, you’ll ruin the carpet fibers.  
  • For water-based stains, such as milk, mud, soda or even paint, club soda can be a lifesaver. You could also a mixture of white vinegar and water to blot the stain.
  • Use the blotting method to soak up the stain. Don’t rub.  
  • Special stains, such as mustard, wine or blood may take a stronger solution. Mix 1 tablespoon ammonia with 1 cup of water to blot the stain. You could also use a mild detergent and water. You might want to test any mixture you use on your carpet on a hidden spot first. Wool and wool-blend carpets do not like ammonia.  

Carpet Protectors Help

  • Foot traffic is by far the number one carpet soiling problem. Floor mats and carpet protectors can really reduce dirt and grime to the carpet.
  • Put a plastic scraping mat outside the door and make everyone wipes their feet before entering.  

Be proactive and keep your floor clean between professional cleanings to maintain your carpet. Call today to make an appointment with us for a deep-cleaning.

0/5 (0 Reviews)

Share:

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recommended Reading

Related Posts

cleaning up stains on carpet

What To Do Before We Come

Before our arrival to clean or repair your carpet, there are a few steps that you can take to help make the carpet cleaning process flow smoothly.

spilled wine on white carpet

How To Clean Up Spills

When you spill a liquid on your carpet, it’s critical that you clean it up as soon as possible to avoid permanent staining.

dog on carpet

How To Clean Up After Pets

Pets are an awesome addition to any home. However, dogs and cats can wreak havoc on your carpet. Here are some ways you can clean your carpet after pets.

carpet repair in sapulpa

Carpet Repair Sapulpa- 6 Stain-Busters

Carpet repair Sapulpa- Whether it’s your carpets that needs a good cleaning or your clothing, Real Simple magazine features the top 6 stain busters that seem to do the trick!